Tuesday, February 3, 2009

OSCR - a nordic tradition

Matty Ice wrote a nice article summarizing his experience at the OSCR. While Matty had his usual break through performance I struggled through snowmobile exhaust fumes and sugar lows to finish just under 4 hours.

I started off slow and let the faster skiers disappear into the woods. Right after the start of the monster climb Jeffro passed me and I never saw him again. I skied at my own pace and tried to enjoy the scenery. The climb was monstrous.....I looked at my watch and saw two hours....with no end in site. I stopped, had a snack and re-grouped. Off in the horizon I saw LDouglas and Bri-wear. I gave it my best effort (probably everything I had left... but we were only halfway) to catch them. As we crested the hill my super waxed skis (thanks Kelly) and my downhill skiing technique (thanks dad) propelled me to pass LDouglas and then Bri-wear. The little andrenaline boost I received from that must of blocked out my need for food and water. Soon after we reached Downtown Joel Browns bacon aid station. Bri-wear mobbed bacon while I looked on in a sick daze. We left the bacon station as a trio; Doulgas, Bri-wear and myself.

Not a k went by and I started to loose ground. Unlike cycling, there were no attacks at this point just slow mo surges. LD brought the heat and left me in the dust. Then she gapped Bri-wear in search of ole Jeffro. I was exhausted. I kept hitting the gel, but it just wasn't doing it for me. I noticed a right turn that looked pretty official but didn't think anything of it. So, I just kept plugging along looking for the finish. After awhile I came upon a classic skier out for a cruise with his pup. I thought that was odd...I mumbled like a caveman....race.....skate.....ski.....turn....so....tired. He told me he thought I had gone the wrong way. My heart sunk. I looked back to see Tony skiing at me pointing to turn around. In my tired, bonked daze I had missed the red arrow, miss the turn, and neglected to notice that I was following no ski tracks. I finished the race, and looking back on it I'm happy to have just finished OSCR. I understand what JBrooks and DD were talking about......OSCR is an adventure......

I've got a ton of respect for skate skiers. You guys and gals are nasty athletes.

Thanks Jeff for all the advice.

More photos, http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveConnery/OSCR09#

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard those who bypassed the bacon had a long trudge home. Good work Bri Wear, Jeff and Joel for being so genius. Negative props for anyone that passes up bacon....ever. Good work John Weyrich for smelling it before he got there....

Google